Friday, December 29, 2017

The moon, kadam tree and others*

I only said
' can anyone for me
Take down the full moon
From that kadam tree
Right at the evening'
My words thus listening
Brother said laughing
' never seen anyone so
Like a fool like you
Moon resides far away
How can I touch the orb
Of silver';
I said ' that I do not know
But whence our Mother
Smile through that window
Will you say the same
That our Mother stays
Far away, at some distant lane';
Still brother said
'never seen anyone so
Like a fool like you';
Brother said
' where will you  find
Such a big string or instrument
To bring moon here
To her bind';
And I did revert
' yonder lies the moon
The small rounded one
Can not with ease
Her we by our hands bring
Please';
Listening to me thus
Brother laughed
' never seen so anyone near and far
Like a fool as you are ';

(* note: it is a transliteration of a poem of Rabindranath Tagore as can be found in page number 36-37, ' শিশু' / ' Shishu' section,  Collected Works / রবীন্দ্ররচনাবলি, volume two, Birth Centenary edition  The transliteration is my humble tribute to Tagore, the child forever and the greatest poet of all times)

No comments:

Post a Comment

The State Funeral

At least they have given her The State Funeral With tongue cut,  She could not have spoken for  The rare award,  The police have done the th...