Friday, November 4, 2011

my friend's last notes...

Tall, dark and handsome...
That was my friend...
He had been my friend since our tricycle days;
We used to do things crazy and simple in our school days...
I remember...now...more poignantly as he had left me with his bunches of papers...
Printed ones...
Printed words black on pages...

I recall...
How we ran around our compound with toy guns...
Trat-trat-trat-tra...
Shooting at imaginary foes...
We were G.I Joes!

Then we grew in height and width...
We just grew,
To smoke our dad's pipes...
Secretly, sitting thrilled behind the garage...

We grew more to see more in women...
Earlier they were our friends and friends' sisters only...
But we saw more in them...
We fell in love...with our friends' sisters...cousin sisters...
We grew still...
In length and width...
We grew...

We soon realised our love was just an infatuation...a passing phase, in the annals of man!
We grew more to become pros...in drinking and smoking...
Pros...we were!
Knowing exactly how to roll leaves and put the flakes into them...
Knowing how to open bottles with teeth!
Knowing our wayward ways...

We grew...
We grew to know more...
More about life and death...
Death came first as a dream...
Then it became a terrible foe...taking one of our friends away, forever!

We still grew...
We grew to become fathers...
We grew to become husbands of our girlfriends!

We still grew...
We grew to become trees by ourselves...

Now...
With my friend's last notes in my hands...
I feel...
Our growth curve is good...
We grew...
Keeping things steady...
Through the tides...
We kept heads above the waves...and swam the ocean good...so far!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The State Funeral

At least they have given her The State Funeral With tongue cut,  She could not have spoken for  The rare award,  The police have done the th...